First impressions matter—especially when it comes to your LinkedIn profile. Because you only have a few seconds to catch someone's attention, it’s imperative that your profile is solid and engaging.
But that’s a lot of work, right? Not anymore.
Enter ChatGPT. It’s an AI (artificial intelligence) tool you’ve probably heard about via friends, the news, or social media. While the enhancements of AI and, specifically, ChatGPT, are SO intriguing, many people still are unsure what it is, if it’s safe, and if it can even be helpful to them.
Well, we’re here to help! In this article, we’ll dive deep into ChatGPT, whether you should be using it as a working professional, and one of the easiest ways to start using it (hint: it’s LinkedIn!).
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT, short for Chat-based Generative Pre-trained Transformer, uses natural language processing (NLP) to quickly and accurately generate texts from your conversations. Using simple commands such as “summarize my resume” or “highlight my experience,” ChatGPT can automatically create compelling descriptions in just a few minutes without manual editing.
Not only does it provide convenience and efficiency, but it also ensures your written content is grammatically correct and concisely captures your accomplishments and ambitions. With ChatGPT at hand, you can be sure that your LinkedIn profile will stand out from the competition.
What are the benefits of using ChatGPT as a professional?
As a business professional, you or your company are probably already thinking about how ChatGPT could benefit your day-to-day operations. It makes many processes simpler by automating tedious tasks quickly and accurately.
And as a networking, working professional, there are multiple other ways you could use ChatGPT for your benefit without having to jump through as many hoops.
For example, you can use ChatGPT in your job search to write resume bullet point achievements, a professional summary for your resume, or written copy for your portfolio or professional website. You can even use ChatGPT to write your cover letter or help with interview preparation.
ChatGPT allows you to spend far less time on repetitive and often time-consuming tasks and instead use that time for more strategic work.
Why is LinkedIn the best place to get started with ChatGPT as a professional?
LinkedIn hosts more than 875 million professional profiles. Because of this, you can reach out to a nearly unlimited supply of network connections and future opportunities. Everything from seeking a new job to maintaining your brand is possible with the help of this platform.
And if you already know this, maybe you’ve been telling yourself that you need to update and utilize LinkedIn on a deeper level for quite some time now. Or perhaps you have a very well-optimized, updated profile ready to go and know how time-consuming it can be to keep your LinkedIn in that state. ChatGPT can help with either of these scenarios!
LinkedIn is the ideal platform to test out if you want to get comfortable with ChatGPT as a professional because it’s approachable, requires a significant amount of copy to be successful, and can be executed without the need for an employer, peer, or tech review.
How to install and use ChatGPT on your LinkedIn profile
Enhancing your LinkedIn profile with ChatGPT technology is easier than you think, and it’s also completely free. Below, we’ll get into all the ways you can use ChatGPT with many LinkedIn features.
To get started, you need to access ChatGPT via OpenAI. You can sign up for a free account by visiting chat.openai.com. Simply provide an email address, Google account, or Microsoft account to complete your signup. There's a free version of the website and app, but it often gets overcrowded at peak times, so a paid plan will give you preferred access to the AI tools during those windows.
Four ways to use ChatGPT for your LinkedIn Profile
And now for the fun part: tangible tips on how to use ChatGPT for your LinkedIn profile.
Now that we’ve gotten past the formalities, let’s dive in!
3.) ChatGPT for your LinkedIn resume achievements
Next, we’re going to talk through how to use artificial intelligence to help us craft the first draft of your LinkedIn resume achievements.
For this example, we’re going to pretend we’re showcasing the achievements of a Senior Marketing Manager.
- For the prompt, write: "Write three resume achievements for Senior Marketing Manager and include success metrics with brand awareness.” (Feel free to replace that title and the keywords with ones relevant to your role or industry!)
- Type “Shift” + “Enter” to create a new line.
- From here, you can either find your old job description, provide a quick summary of your work and results in that particular role, or use existing copy you already have to highlight the work you did.
- When you get your result, save it in a separate area (like Teal's free Resume Builder).
- Click "Try again" to generate two more versions. Remember to save ChatGPT’s response each time.
- Sort through the options, pull what you like from each generated version, customize the metrics as needed, and adjust to make it sound more like yourself.
- Repeat steps 1-5 for each of your previous roles.
- Paste the final achievements into your LinkedIn profile. Achievements are equally important on your resume as they are on your LinkedIn profile.
- With Teal’s free Resume Builder, you can skip the middleman of ChatGPT and access free AI-generated resume achievements created with the help of your previous work history.
4.) ChatGPT for your LinkedIn messages
final LinkedIn tip involves using AI to write LinkedIn messages to new
connections. This is especially helpful when you’re in a job search and
connecting with hiring managers, and potential team members.
- For the prompt, ask ChatGPT: "Write a LinkedIn message to thank the hiring manager for her time for the interview for the senior marketing manager role at Amazon.” You can use a similar prompt in regards to checking the status of your application, or expressing initial interest—just be specific.
- When you get your result, save it in a separate document, then click "Try again" to generate two more versions. Remember to save ChatGPT’s response each time. (You can save them in the Notes section of your Teal Job Tracker!)
- Sort through the options, pull what you like from each generated version, tweak to make it sound more like you, and eventually, finalize a perfect follow-up message that reflects you best and send it.