You’ve heard it all before. If you want to find a job you need to network your way there. The odds of getting a job from applying online though a job board is incredibly small yet many people do just that because they decide networking is not for them.
I recently worked with a client who was let go from her previous job. She had been searching for jobs for a while before coming to me. When I asked her about what she was doing in terms of networking I realized she avoided reaching out to all the key people that would best be able to help her out. She was so worried about what people might say about her because she had been let go. After working with my client on overcoming her fears she decided to reach out to those key people. Within two weeks she found the perfect job working for a great company, all because of one of these contacts. So often we know what we need to do, but somehow we can’t get ourselves to do it.
Networking is the best way to get a job, but how you go about it is critical to get the best results. Below are 7 steps you can take to network your way to your next job using LinkedIn. (Note that this requires that you have completed your LinkedIn profile and that you have expanded your network).
1) Know what you want and get clear on your elevator pitch
2) Create a list of target companies you would like to work for.
3) Go to the advanced search on LinkedIn and search for people who could be in a position to hire you at these companies.
4) Use the LinkedIn groups to connect with key people.
5) When you meet with people online, develop relationships.
6) If the person you’re networking with cannot help you out, ask them if they know of someone who could be a good contact for you.
7) Don’t give up.